Forty hours a week. Fifty-two weeks a year. However you do the math, that adds up to a large amount of time spent in your office chair. And if your chair is past it’s prime, all that sitting could lead to back pain and a loss of productivity. For people who spend most of their time at work in their desk chair, it’s not something you want to skimp on. The good news is you can get a really good chair for less than you think.
Here are some common signs that it’s time to upgrade your chair:
1. How’s the padding? Foam padding that’s wearing thin or losing its resilience could lead to back pain and overall discomfort.
2. How many wheels does it have? A chair base with less than five arms. Four-point bases were discontinued long ago for safety reasons.
3. Does it roll? Casters that don’t roll or have parts that are broken can damage your floor or floormats.
4. Is it broken? Mechanical and functional failure, like broken armrests, difficult-to-move controls, and creaks or cracks when you sit down are more than just nuisances – they’re warning signs that your malfunctioning chair could cause an injury.
5. Is it ugly? While looks aren’t everything, a worn/torn fabric, vinyl or leather may be sending the wrong message to office guests and staff members.
6. Is it a teenager? If your chair is more than 10 years old, it’s time to retire it. You got your money’s worth and you won’t believe how much better a new chair feels.
Upgrade your desk chair
If you’re ready to look into an upgrade, you’ve come to the right place. We have furniture specialists on staff to help you select the perfect chair and a large showroom with all the latest seating options from HON and others. And if you’re looking for help with a larger office furniture project, we can help with that too.